CREATION AND MANAGEMENT
Passenger satisfaction is at the heart of any transport operation. And we know that passengers value, amongst other things, punctuality and timetables that match their travelling needs.
To achieve this, transportation companies need to simultaneously combine passenger demand, network capacity and vehicle availability, while maximizing revenue. Not forgetting to address public and company concerns towards energy savings and environmental protection.
Time and space (network routes), taking the form of a timetable, are therefore valuable resources that need to be scheduled and used in an optimised way. Timetable schedulers want to be able to define and later manage timetables that cater for multiple aspects easily and as fast and optimally as possible.
Objectives are accomplished when the highest company performance is achieved, including profit maximisation.
ONTIME is a standard decision-support product that creates and manages optimised timetables with the creation of services and network allocation over time, considering passenger demand and operational constraints/rules (e.g. network capacity). ONTIME produces annual timetables down to day-to-day adjustments due to special events, such as holidays, large-scale events, and track engineering work.
ONTIME guarantees all of this, and more.
To guarantee an optimised solution, ONTIME is fully customisable
to the reality and needs of each individual transportation company,
while including significant parameterisation capabilities.
COMMON KEY FEATURES
• Powerful optimisation capabilities
• Optimisers combine the use of Artificial Intelligence and Operational Research techniques
• Optimisation algorithms minimise a cost function and are guided by user defined parameters or
previously inserted constraints/rules and goals
• Optimisers find an optimised solution but can be fine-tuned to specific goals through flexible
• Scheduling and rescheduling capabilities, where new timetables are produced from scratch, or existing timetables are adjusted to new conditions signalled by the system
• Handles several kinds of fixed-route transport operations (e.g. railways, metros, buses)
• Full flexibility in operational rules specification and possibility of rule sharing across modules
• Attractive and intuitive graphical user interface (GUI), with similar look & feel across all modules
• Graphical representation using Gantt charts, time-space diagrams and geographic maps
• Context-sensitive information and online help
• Selection highlighting
• Colour coding (e.g. trips)
• Zoom control
• Operational rules are validated and conflicts automatically flagged
• Drag & Drop
• Undo/Redo manual operations
• Search, Filter and Sort (e.g. train ID)
• Calculates costs and KPI´s, and compares them across different timetables
• Generates statistics & reports, which can be displayed, printed and saved in different formats (e.g.
xml, rtf). Includes timetable output for both staff and passengers
• Multilevel decision-support with very intuitive GUI and several usability features. The process can be started in any mode and resort to any mode at any time
• Manual mode, acts as a computer-aided graphical scheduling tool signalling, marking and explaining
• Semi-automatic mode, suggests different timetable alternatives
• Automatic mode, presents an optimised solution, either using default parameters or previously
inserted constraints/rules and goals, and allows for what-if scenarios
• Handles midnight crossing, time zones and daylight savings
• Interface with third-party systems easily achieved through standard protocols
• Available in multiple languages
Empowering the user at all levels,
ONTIME caters for multilevel decision-support through
manual, semi-automatic and automatic modes of operation.
MODULES KEY FEATURES
LONG-TERM SCHEDULER. Generates the master timetable for generic dates (e.g. regular weekdays)
• Creates timetables considering both economic rules, such as number of trains and seats to be offered or service classes, and operational rules, such as adding empty stock trips to balance vehicles in the depots or satisfy parking capacity
• Imports a demand matrix, per line, to define the commercial offer of transportation services on different routes, while complying with vehicle rules
• Allows network representation, including mainline tracks, stations, configurations, and other elements
• Allows trip building, for normal and special services, with capabilities for handling complex service demands, displaying multi-line trip patterns, and detection and solving of segment track or station conflicts
• Allows for timetable performance evaluation from a passenger perspective, by recording average connection times for all trips
• Allows validation of network usage
• Identifies capacity violations, including rules, such as headway, single track occupancy, platform
length, and turnaround time
• Identifies available free slots for additional transportation services
• Interacts with the network owner system for detailed validation of the produced timetables
SHORT-TERM SCHEDULER. Deals with expected changes to the timetables for specific dates
• Similar features as the Long-term Scheduler module, but dealing with specific dates
• Deals with expected changes to the regular timetable, such as holidays or special orders of transportation services (e.g. new special trains or change in passenger demand)
REAL-TIME DISPATCHER. Deals with unexpected changes during the day of operation
• Monitors and provides a global view of the operation, receiving information of events (e.g. train delays) in real-time and representing their impact on timetables
• Quickly reschedules timetables in case of a disruption, while complying with all operational rules
ACTIVITY RECORDER. Records the timetables actually performed
ACTIVITY REPORTER. Generates reports for Operations and Management, and information for third-party systems
WEB SERVICES. Application that enables web publication of the timetable for the current day, including all official amendments and all timetables for upcoming days
LONG-TERM DATA MANAGER and SHORT-TERM DATA MANAGER. Provides central management of data, guaranteeing consistency and completeness, and communication with third-party systems
Through strong reporting capabilities, ONTIME provides
both schedulers and management the ability to
improve their long-term decisions, such as defining the commercial transportation offer
that best meets passenger demand and quality expectations, while maximising revenue.